Chicken Vindaloo

It's been almost a year since I last posted and it is only cos I really did not try anything new in the last one year. Just was bored out of my mind.

But the cooking bug has hit me again and I am back, hopefully to stay!

For my very first post, after the long break, I'd like to share one of my latest quick and easy recipes...and most importantly very unique... CHICKEN VINDALOO

It is one of the most easiest recipes I have come across in recent times and yet you can be assured of getting it right with least effort.


I always have loved Vindaloo, right since I was a kid. But Vindaloo is a very Portuguese thing, which meant, the traditional RCSC Malayalee family that I belonged to, never ever made it. The only time I got to eat this was during get togethers at my parish in Bombay where of course the predominant population were Goan and Mangalorean Catholics, who of course never had a party without Pork Vindaloo and Sorpotel with Sannas. ( Oh I miss those days) And yes I forgot to mention, I had always had Pork Vindaloo and not Chicken Vindaloo all these years. 

What thus followed, was I never learnt how to make it as I never saw mum make it and I just thought it involved a complicated process and never even dared to Google a recipe to even figure it out. But after years of craving for it and some months of just having the memory of the taste linger in my mind (or shall I say tongue), I decided I just have to try it. What was the worse that could happen? I had decided I will just wash of the gravy of the chicken and add into a salad!

And so the day finally arrived and after Pinteresting (Oh yes...Google is a passé...Pinterest is awesome)  a bit, I came across an easy recipe that I could follow and I braved myself

The recipe is damn simple and basic and I really think you can't go wrong. Vindaloo is great for people who like pepper and vinegar. I'll just list out the ingredients below and then follow up with the method.

Ingredients:

Chicken - 1/2 kg with bone
Garlic - 1/2 cup finely chopped
Peppercorns - a handful
Vinegar - 1-2 tablespoons ( I used apple cider as I wanted a slightly sweet taste)
Chilli powder - 2 teaspoons
Cloves - 3-4
Cinnamon powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Pepper powder - 1 teaspoon
Onions - 1 medium sized, thinly chopped
Salt - to taste

Method:

Marinate your chicken with all the ingredients except the onions and half the garlic. Leave it as long as you can. I did 24 hours and the wait was worth it. The chicken absorbs the vinegar and the spices.

Next day, saute the onions and the garlic in oil. Once it turns translucent, add the marinated chicken along with all the juices. Let it simmer for a while. You can add 1/2 cup of water if you would like. Let the chicken cook away in the juices and once the gravy reduces to a semi gravy sort of consistency you are almost done.

Check the chicken for pepper and vinegar. Add in more based on your preference and you are done!

I would love to try the recipe with pork, which would be more suited for the vinegar and also as all my childhood memories associate Vindaloo with pork. But chicken is sure to satisfy the instant cravings.

Till I get my hands on pork......adios!!!!











Comments

Popular Posts